Many WhatsApp features make reaching out to multiple people a lot easier. One such feature is the broadcast list, which is slightly different depending on whether you’re using the iOS or Android version of the app.
The broadcast list is an old but very useful WhatsApp feature that some people may consider “hidden”. So, we’ve detailed how to use it and improve your communication and outreach on WhatsApp.
What Exactly Are WhatsApp Broadcast Lists?
Broadcast lists shouldn’t be confused with WhatsApp communities and group chats. Broadcast lists are a way to private message multiple people at once.
When you compile a list of your contacts in a broadcast list, WhatsApp creates a direct message window you can use to send a message to everyone on that broadcast list at the same time.
Broadcast lists are great for sending promotions and announcements or evoking engagement with friends, family, customers, and clients. Its DM-like methods make it difficult to ignore since a well-structured broadcast will look personal. You can also send media files like voice notes, videos, and images.
People you send broadcasts to wouldn’t know that you sent them broadcasts; the messages will appear like normal text messages. However, you can see a little megaphone icon on the text when you open their private chat window.
However, only people with your number saved on their contact lists can see your broadcasts. This is a good way to prevent getting spammed on WhatsApp.
How to Create a WhatsApp Broadcast List
The method of creating broadcast lists is relatively straightforward—even though it differs slightly on an Android and iPhone.
How to Create a WhatsApp Broadcast List on an iPhone
Here’s how to create a broadcast list on an iPhone:
- Launch WhatsApp and make sure you’re on the Chats tab home page (where you find your most recent conversations).
- In the top-right, you’ll find Broadcast Lists under the search bar. Tap it.
- Tap New List at the bottom of the page and choose the contacts you want to add.
- When you’re finished, tap Create.
- WhatsApp will place you immediately in a chat window where whatever you type will be delivered to everyone on your broadcast list.
You might want to rename and change the recipients of your broadcast list. Here’s how to do it on the iOS version of the app:
- Tap Broadcast Lists in Chats to open it up.
- Tap the i in a circle on the list.
- Select the bar where you see List name, type in whatever you want, and choose Done.
- Select Edit list at the end of the list of recipients to remove and add new members.
- Choose Done when you’re finished.
How to Create and Edit a WhatsApp Broadcast List on an Android Phone
Things are a little different on the Android version of WhatsApp. If you use an Android phone, you can create a WhatsApp broadcast list like this:
- Open WhatsApp and make sure you’re in Chats.
- Tap the three dots on the top right to open the dropdown menu.
- Tap New broadcast and select up to 256 people you would like to add to your list.
- Tap the green tick in the bottom right.
- WhatsApp will place you in the broadcast’s messaging window immediately after that.
- You can return back to the broadcast list’s messaging window by finding it among your chats. Broadcast lists are represented by a megaphone icon as their chat display picture.
Once again, the Android version of WhatsApp has a different method of changing recipients and broadcast list names:
- After creating a broadcast, open the messaging window and tap the title.
- Tap the three vertical dots at the top-right to open the editing menu.
- Select Add recipient to add or remove recipients or Change broadcast list name to change the name.
Use WhatsApp Broadcast Lists to Expand Your Reach
Broadcasts are great for reaching out to multiple people in a way that feels personal. You can use it to your advantage as an organizer or businessperson to help share information and communicate with people in bulk without forcing them into the same group chats or communities.