All major messaging apps allow users to respond directly to specific messages from one particular sender. That’s useful as it can help you avoid confusion when responding to an older message—not the last one sent. This functionality can significantly help in group chats. Instagram was a bit late to roll out such a feature.
This article explains how to use the direct messaging feature and reply to time-specific messages from any sender on Instagram using iPhone, Android, or a PC. In addition, you’ll see why you may be unable to use the new feature.
How To Reply to a Specific Message on Instagram Using an iPhone
To respond to a specific Instagram message in the list sent from someone while using an iPhone, do the following:
- From the feed, tap the Messenger icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Select the private or group conversation from your messages.
- Swipe right on the specific message once you find it, tap the reply icon, then type your message. You can also hold down the sender’s message and type your reply at the bottom.
- You’ll now see the sender’s message attached above the text input box. Type in your reply and tap on Send.
Whenever you pick a message to respond to, it displays in quotes to know which one you are referring to within the conversation. Otherwise, pressing reply first at the bottom sends your message by itself.
How To Reply to a Specific Message on Instagram Using an Android Device
Replying to a specific Instagram message on Android is similar to iPhone. You have two options. Here’s how to do it.
- Open your Instagram feed and tap the Messenger icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Find the conversation that contains the specific message.
- Tap and slide the message leftwards until the curved arrow appears on the right. Try and grab the message from the far right side, or you’ll get a slideout showing message times.
- The time-specific message now appears above the message box, which is “Ok” in this example.
- Type your reply to the specific message, then tap Send. The message you respond to gets attached when you send the new one.
How To Reply to a Specific Message on Instagram Using a PC
Replying to a person’s specific message on Instagram is also available on the desktop version. Here’s how to respond to messages on Instagram using a PC.
- Open Instagram in a browser on your computer.
- Click the Messenger icon at the top of the screen.
- Open the conversation and find the message for your new reply.
- Click the horizontal dots icon next to the message.
- From the suggested options, select Reply.
- Type in your reply and send it. The message you respond to will be attached to your message.
Now that you know how to respond to time-specific messages from a particular sender on Instagram, your communication with friends should become more understandable. Ensure that you keep your Instagram up to date by enabling automatic updates. If the feature is unavailable in your region, keep checking.
Instagram Direct Messaging FAQs
Can I Reply to Any Message on Instagram?
Yes, the feature works both in individual and group conversations. Direct message replies are beneficial with the latter, as you can avoid confusion by directly indicating which message your response involves.
If the recipient replies to my response, will it show my reply first?
If the recipient responds to your message using the same tactics above, it will include your previous reply. Otherwise, Instagram sends the message by itself.