Thanks to the much-needed update, recording a video on Snapchat without holding the button has become far simpler than it used to be. You no longer need to employ long and complicated methods to achieve this.
By following a few simple steps, you can easily record hands-free videos on Snapchat. In this guide, we’ll explore two straightforward methods to help you capture moments on Snapchat without the need to hold down the record button.
1. Lock the Record Button on Snapchat
The relatively easier method of recording hands-free videos on Snapchat is to utilize the lock feature, which allows you to lock the shutter button in recording mode, eliminating the need to hold it down manually.
Here’s how it works:
- Open the Snapchat camera and tap and hold the shutter button as you normally would to record a video. You’ll notice a lock icon appears next to the shutter button.
- Hold and drag the record button to the left, toward the lock icon, to lock it.
Once the record button is locked, you’ll notice that the recording continues automatically without the need for you to keep your finger pressed down. The video stops recording automatically once the circle around the shutter button gets completed. If you wish to end your recording midway, tap the shutter button once.
Although this feature is super easy and convenient, it does entail holding down the record button in the beginning. If you’d like to avoid this completely, refer to the second method below.
2. Use the Timer Feature
In addition to the lock feature, Snapchat has also included a timer feature to let you record videos hands-free. The Snapchat timer works in a similar way to the TikTok timer by letting you set the length of your video recording.
Follow these steps to record a video with a timer on Snapchat:
- Open Snapchat camera and tap the + button on the right
- From the options that appear, tap Timer. A stop-watch icon appears above the + button, and the photo timer is activated, which lets you take a hands-free photo. However, to activate the video timer, you’ll need to tap on the stop-watch icon again.
- Drag the slider to set the length of your video recording and tap Set Timer. You can choose between one and 10 seconds.
- Once the timer is set, tap the record button.
The timer will initiate a three-second countdown, giving you a few seconds to get ready before the recording begins. The video will record for the set duration before stopping automatically. However, if you wish to stop recording midway, tap the shutter button again.
The recorded video will automatically start playing after the recording stops. You can then edit your video by adding exciting filters, text, stickers, and more. Check out our guide on the best Snapchat filters for help finding unique filters to add to your video.
Additionally, you can add music to your Snapchat video to make it more exciting and fun to watch.
Recording Hands-Free Videos on Snapchat Has Never Been Easier
Whether you choose to use the lock feature or the timer feature, both methods provide a hassle-free way to record videos on Snapchat, but each has its drawbacks.
The lock feature allows for longer videos but requires an initial button press, which can be inconvenient if you want to record a video completely hands-free. However, you can also always crop the first few seconds of the video to shorten it.
On the other hand, the timer feature offers a truly hands-free experience but restricts recordings to a maximum duration of 10 seconds. Choosing between the two depends on your priorities.