Don’t want to see posts or replies from someone on Threads? The best possible way to do this is by muting them on Threads. This works much better than unfollowing them or blocking them. As Threads sometimes show posts from people you don’t follow and blocking anyone on Threads will also block them on the Instagram app. But you can mute and unmute any person on Threads whether you follow them or not.
How to Mute Someone on Threads
You can mute any user on Threads whether you are following them or not. Once muted, you cannot see their posts or replies on the home page while navigating Threads. But you can still access their profile and see all the posts and replies if you want to. Also, muting someone will not notify them or sync with the Instagram mute option. So if you are following the same user on Instagram, you can still see their Instagram posts normally.
That being said, there are two ways to mute on the Threads app and the process is the same both on Android and iOS
Muting Someone on Threads from Their Post
1. On the homepage of Threads, if you are seeing their post and want to mute them, just tap on the kebab menu (three-dot menu) at the top right corner of the post.
2. In the menu that popped up, tap on the Mute option.
3. Then tap on the Mute Posts option in the pop-up window to confirm muting the user.
Their post will instantly disappear from the feed. You cannot see any of their posts until you open their profile manually or when you unmute them.
Muting Someone on Threads from Profile
1. Tap on the search icon in the bottom bar and then search for the account that you want to mute.
2. Then open the user account from the search results.
3. Now on their profile page, tap on the kebab menu (three-dot menu) at the top right corner. Then select the Mute option from the pop-up menu.
4. Then again tap on the Mute Posts option in the pop-up window to confirm it.
That’s it, you will not see posts from that user on your Threads homepage unless you unmute them.
How to Unmute Someone on Threads
Once muted, you cannot see their posts or their replies to any post. To view their posts again, you have to unmute them first. Just like when you muted them, Threads will not send any notification when you unmute them. On Threads, you can unmute anyone in 2 ways. The process is the same on both Android and iOS.
Unmuting Someone on Threads From Profile
1. Tap on the search icon in the bottom bar and then find the account that you want to unmute.
2. Now open the user account that you have muted before from the search results.
3. On their profile page, tap on the kebab menu (three-dot menu) at the top right corner and then tap on the Unmute option in the pop-up menu.
4. To confirm, again tap on the Unmute Posts option in the pop-up window.
That’s it, now you should start seeing the posts of that user again on your Threads homepage.
Unmuting Someone on Threads From Settings
1. Tap on the profile icon at the bottom right corner. On your profile page, tap on the hamburger menu at the top right corner.
2. In the settings that opened, select the Privacy option and then select Muted option.
3. Here you should see all the accounts that you have muted. Just tap on the Unmute button beside the account that you want to unmute.
Now that user is unmuted and you should start seeing their posts on your homepage whenever they post.
Threads may recommend your posts to someone even if you are not following that user. However, you can simply mute the user and even the user will not know about it. Also, you can mute any user whether you are following them or not. Most importantly, it also does not sync with your Instagram account.
Apart from muting users, you should also learn how to pause or silence notifications on the Threads app. That’s because when you join Threads, you will be bombarded with a lot of notifications for every little thing from someone joining Threads to someone liking a thread you posted.