Are you getting an “Instagram closed because this app has a bug” error?
Here’s the second part of the error, “Try updating this app after its developer provides a fix for this error”.
If you tap on “Got it” and reopen the app, the error will still persist.
It happens on Android devices like Oppo, Samsung, Huawei, and others.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix “Instagram closed because this app has a bug” on Android devices.
What does “Instagram closed because this app has a bug” mean?
The error, “Instagram closed because this app has a bug” means that the app has a bug.
In other words, there’s a programming error with the latest Instagram update that caused a malfunction in the app.
You’re probably getting the error because the latest Instagram update contains a bug that causes the app to crash.
If so, Instagram will release a follow-up update to fix it.
You can check if others are facing the same issue as you by going to downdetector.com/status/instagram.
You can also search for the issue that you’re experiencing on Twitter and check the top/latest tweets.
How to fix “Instagram closed because this app has a bug”
To fix Instagram closed because this app has a bug, try downloading Instagram Lite from the Google Play Store.
Alternatively, you can try downloading an older version of Instagram (APK) from a third-party website.
Otherwise, you need to wait until an update is released that fixes the crashes.
Fix 1: Download Instagram Lite
- Open the Google Play Store.
- Search for “Instagram Lite”.
- Download Instagram Lite.
- Open Instagram Lite.
- Log in to your Instagram account.
Fix 2: Download an older version of Instagram
- Delete the Instagram app from your device.
- Go to https://instagram.en.uptodown.com/android.
- Select “Older versions” and install an older version of Instagram.
- Open Instagram and the “Instagram closed because this app has a bug” error should be fixed.
Fix 3: Other troubleshooting methods
If the “Instagram closed because this app has a bug” error is still not fixed, try these troubleshooting methods:
- Update Instagram: Open the App Store/Google Play Store, search for “Instagram”, and select “Update”.
- Force exit and reopen: Swipe up from the bottom of your screen, navigate to the Instagram card, and swipe up.
- Clear Instagram’s cache: Force exit Instagram > open the Settings app > Apps > Instagram > Storage > Clear Cache > Clear Data > re-open Instagram.
- Uninstall and reinstall: Tap and hold the Instagram app, delete it, and reinstall it from the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Log out and log in: Open the Instagram app > Profile > Menu > Settings > Log out > Log back in.
- Wait it out: If Instagram is down, you need to wait for a few hours for the server-side issue(s) to be fixed.
How to Fix Instagram Failed to Start Several Times
How to Fix “Page isn’t available at the moment” on Instagram
How to Fix Instagram Copy Link Option Not Showing