After Elon Musk’s acquisition of Twitter, the platform has gone through multiple changes.
A notable change is taking away legacy blue checkmarks for public figures who didn’t subscribe to Twitter Blue.
More recently, Elon implemented temporary rate limits to different account types.
According to his tweet, these limits are implemented to address extreme levels of data scraping and system manipulation.
As a result, many Twitter users are unable to view tweets because they’ve exceeded the viewing limit.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix the “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” error on Twitter for iOS, Android, or PC.
Why can’t Twitter retrieve tweets at this time?
Twitter can’t retrieve tweets at this time because you’ve exceeded the viewing limit of tweets.
Elon Musk implemented a temporary rate limit to combat data scraping and system manipulation.
The original limits are as follows—6,000 views/day for verified accounts, 600 views/day for unverified accounts, and 300 views/day for new unverified accounts.
12 hours after the tweet, Elon increased the limits to 10k, 5k, and 0.5k respectively.
How to fix “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” on Twitter
To fix the “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later” error on Twitter, you need to subscribe to Twitter Blue to increase the limits.
You can also use the web version of Twitter, connect to a VPN, or wait for 24 to 48 hours for the rate limit to be lifted.
Method 1: Subscribe to Twitter Blue
- Open the Twitter app and log in to your account.
- Tap on your profile picture and select “Twitter Blue”.
- Select the “Annually” or “Monthly” plan.
- Complete the payment to subscribe to Twitter Blue.
Note: After you’ve subscribed to Twitter Blue, your limits will be increased substantially.
Method 2: Use the web version of Twitter
- For iPhone: Open Safari in private mode, go to twitter.com, log in to your account, and start viewing tweets.
- For Android: Open Chrome in incognito mode, go to twitter.com, log in to your account, and start viewing tweets.
- For PC: Open Chrome in incognito mode, go to twitter.com, log in to your account, and start viewing tweets.
Note: If you’ve been using the web version of Twitter, try using the Twitter app instead.
Method 3: Connect to a VPN
- Force close the Twitter website or app.
- Download and use a VPN like Ultrasurf VPN, Proton VPN, or VPN – Super Unlimited Proxy.
- Connect to a free VPN.
- Reopen the Twitter website or app and start viewing tweets again.
Method 4: Wait for 24 to 48 hours
- Rate limits typically last for a few hours, up to 48 hours.
- If you’ve recently been rate limited, you need to wait for it to be lifted.
- Elon mentioned that the introduction of rate limits is temporary.
- Rate limits will be increased periodically until it’s no longer a factor.
How to Fix “Please wait a few moments then try again” on Twitter
How to Fix Rate Limit Exceeded on Twitter
25+ Free Twitter Accounts