YouTube already has a share feature but that doesn’t work for every scenario. What if you want to share a small portion of a lengthy video? This is where YouTube’s Clip feature comes in handy. You can clip videos between a particular time duration and save and share them. Intrigued by YouTube clips? We will discuss how to create clips and share and manage them.
Before clipping a YouTube video, you must keep the following points in mind:
- You cannot clip videos that are shorter than two minutes. So, you cannot clip YouTube shorts because their maximum duration is not more than one minute.
- You cannot clip a video if you don’t have a YouTube channel. So, create a YouTube channel first. It doesn’t need to have any videos. All you need to do is add a channel name and a few other basic details.
- You cannot clip videos of news channels and videos created for kids.
- Live streams that are more than eight hours in length or have DVR disabled are also un-clippable. The same goes for live streams longer than the DVR timeframe.
- The channel owner can disable the clip feature for their videos. There is no way to bypass this unless the channel owner re-enables it again.
- If the original video is taken down by YouTube or the creator, or made private, the clips that you created will also disappear.
- You cannot create a clip of or download a video while it is premiering on YouTube.
YouTube supports the clip length of 5-60 seconds. So, you can clip a continuous chunk of 5-60 seconds of an uploaded video. But you cannot create multiple clips and stitch them together to create a different video. Here’s how to create a clip on the YouTube website:
1. Open a video on the YouTube website.
2. Scroll down and click on the meatballs (three-dot icon) button to open the context menu. Click on the Clip option.
3. Enter the name of the Clip.
4. Drag the slider to select a portion of the video to clip. You can also enter the start time and end time of the portion of the video.
5. Click on the Share Clip button.
6. You will see the URL of the created clip along with the option to share the clip on other popular platforms. Click on the Copy button to copy the URL.
That’s it! You can share the URL of the YouTube clip with your friends.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to clip a video on the YouTube mobile app:
1. Open a video in the YouTube app.
2. Swipe down to the channel name section and tap on the Clip icon.
3. Type the name of the clip.
4. Tap on the clip slider and drag it to the desired time duration. You don’t have the option to enter the start time and end time of the portion of the video.
5. Tap on the Share Clip button.
6. You can directly share the clip using a social media app on your phone. Or, you can copy the link and share it via other channels like e-mail.
YouTube doesn’t have an official desktop app for Mac or Windows. However, many use the PWA version and the clip creation process is identical to the first method described above. Here’s how to clip a video in that:
1. Open the YouTube PWA app and open the video you want to clip.
2. Scroll down and click on the Clip button.
3. Type the name of the Clip in the text box.
4. Drag the slider to select a portion of the video to clip. You can also do it by entering the start time and end time of the portion of the video.
5. Click on the Share Clip button. Pick a social platform or copy the clip URL and manually share it.
How to View the Clipped YouTube Video
You don’t see any option to save the clip while creating it. But when you click on the Share Clip button, it automatically gets saved in your account. So, if you want to revisit those, here’s how to do it:
On the Website or PWA App
1. Open the YouTube website. Click on the hamburger icon in the top left corner.
2. Click on the Your clips option.
3. You will see all the clips that you previously created. Simply click on the clip to play it.
4. If you want to share the clip again, click on the kebab (three-dot icon) next to the clip and then click on the Share option.
5. Lastly, if you want to delete the clip, click on click on the kebab icon next to the clip and then click on the Delete clip option.
1. Open the YouTube mobile app.
2. Tap on the library icon.
3. Tap on the Your clips option.
4. If you want to play the clip, tap on it.
5. To share or delete the clip, tap on the kebab icon next to the clip. Then, tap on the Share or Delete clip option.
Clip YouTube Videos With Ease
YouTube’s clip feature lets you capture intriguing moments of a video and then share it with others or revisit it later on. However, the duration is capped at one minute and it is not possible to combine multiple clips into one. But you can download these clips using browser extensions or tools.