You likely use WhatsApp to catch up with your friends and family. However, the popularity of the messaging service has led to businesses also using the platform to reach out to customers. Spam is also a big issue on WhatsApp, with scammers using the service to target potential new people.
If you are regularly flooded with spammy or unwanted messages from businesses on WhatsApp, follow this guide to see how you can block them.
What to Know About Blocking Spam Messages on WhatsApp
While WhatsApp is safe to use, scammers have been trying to use the platform to their advantage to fool unsuspecting users. And with WhatsApp opening its service further to businesses, you must have seen an influx of unwanted messages from unknown numbers and businesses.
There’s not much you can do about these messages except for blocking or muting them. Once you block a number or business on WhatsApp, they cannot reach out to you again on the platform. They also cannot view your profile photo, last seen status, or call you using WhatsApp.
Scammers have become smart, so you should know how to recognize WhatsApp spam. And when you do, block that contact right away for your own security.
How to Block and Report Spam Messages on WhatsApp
WhatsApp makes it relatively easy to block unknown numbers or businesses. You can even report them for harassment if needed. The process of blocking a business or an unknown number on WhatsApp is the same.
- Open the WhatsApp chat with the business that has messaged you.
- Tap the Block button at the bottom of the chat to prevent the business from contacting you again through WhatsApp.
- You need to provide a reason for blocking the business. Many companies can reach out to you on WhatsApp without your consent. If that’s the case, select Spam.
- If the business contacted you is not genuine, tick the Report business option. Your report and the last five messages from the company will be forwarded to WhatsApp.
Depending on the number of reports received and the messages sent, WhatsApp could ban businesses or accounts from its platform if they violate its Terms of Service. You can follow the same steps to block and report a business or scammer from WhatsApp on your desktop or the web app.
Sadly, there’s no way to prevent businesses or unknown people from messaging you on WhatsApp in the first place. As long as they have your number, they can initiate a conversation with you. Once you receive a message though, you are free to block and report them.
Thankfully, WhatsApp lets you silence incoming calls from unknown numbers, so scammers or businesses cannot disturb you with unnecessary calls.
If you ever need to unblock a number, head over to WhatsApp Settings > Privacy > Blocked contacts. From here, tap the number or business you want to unblock and select Unblock. Once removed, you can start a conversation with that number or business.
How to Mute Businesses on WhatsApp
In some cases, you may not want to completely block a business on WhatsApp. In such cases, mute them temporarily, so you can still access your chat with them when required.
- Open the chat with the business or unsaved contact you want to mute.
- Tap on the contact’s name or number at the top of the chat window.
- Select Mute notifications, followed by the duration of your choice: 8 hours, 1 week, or Always.
Stay Safe on WhatsApp
With WhatsApp becoming a key part of our lives, it is important you take all important precautions to keep your account safe. Meta has added several privacy-oriented features in WhatsApp in recent years that you should take advantage of.
This includes setting up two-factor authentication for your account and enabling end-to-end encryption for your backups.